8.11.2010

Domestic ARTS and a recipe for Bread Pudding you'll actually want to eat!


There is something so satisfying about making the domestics into works of art! Last Tuesday morning I could have been siting down to cold cereal, but I decided to make it a special day. There wasn't any significant reason, it was just "because". I've found that when you do special things for your children, they feel special and that helps your relationship. It does so much the same way it does when your hubby does something special for you. I would venture to guess you can recall just about every special moment in detail! To this day I can't eat an omelet without remembering my dad and his wonderful homemade breakfast treats!

28 "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." Proverbs 31:28 KJV

I want my children to have cherished memories that reinforce a strong sense of being loved. So when time allows & sometimes when it doesn't, I will make an extra effort to make them feel special. The menu is not what's important, but because they are important to me, I'll consider the manner in which they're served. (And in this principle I devote myself to my husband also.)

4 "That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children," Titus 2:4 KJV

So without further ado...
We had bread pudding for breakfast! I laugh at myself saying that with such enthusiaism because I never liked it before. However, my husband loved it so I learned to make it, and over the years have improved it. Now I have improved it well enough to enjoy eating it. One key point is to cover it while it bakes so the top doesn't dry out.

Ma's Best Bread Pudding

several sweet bread end pieces
Cinnamon
real maple syrup
7-8 eggs
real vanilla extract
1/2cup or so milk (evaporated, 2% or half/half)
canned pears 1/2 to 1 cup

Tare bread into large bite size pieces and put into small to medium buttered casserole pan. Top with Cinnamon and a drizzling of maple syrup, to taste. In separate bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla and milk with a fork, add a little more milk if too thick, it should be like custard, not scrambled eggs. Pour mixture over bread pieces and top with pears that have been cut into bite sized pieces. Cover and bake at 350* F for 20-25 min, or until eggs are set. Serve warm with dollops of butter and a fresh drizzle of syrup. Enjoy!

Have fun making it really special for your family. Get out your china (which is FOR SPECIAL PEOPLE - NOT JUST FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS!). Decorate the table fit for royalty! Then wake them with a kiss and watch their eyes sparkle!

*(And if you have an early riser, don't let that spoil your mood! Let them help, make it a game to whisper and "surprise" the others!)

Bless you mamas and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Please be sure to leave your name and dont forget to observe common sense rules in regard to word usage and comments!